I started 2016 by seeing Aretha Franklin on New Year’s Day. Man, how do you top that? We had awesome seats and the price was really a gift. Aretha’s songs were fitting way to usher in the new year, because it marked the start of what I call my Year of RESPECT.
Two weeks later, I had a 4-week adventure in Seth Godin’s altMBA, which rocked my ideas, world views & thought processes. I meet an amazing group of people and we continue to challenge each other to grow share in ways that were inconceivable to me this time last year.
I respecting myself enough took the form of retiring from a job where I no longer fit and on February 29, 2016–a leap day, on a leap year, interestingly enough– I made that leap.
After that, all sorts of things happened because I chose to respect myself, to say YES to opportunities and NO to things I wouldn’t tolerate anymore. To name just a few:
- Collaborating with some friends on a great soon-to-be-launched product.
- Starting my own company as a benefit corporation to focus on women.
- Having conversations with people like Seth Godin, Pam Slim, Desiree Adaway, David Burkus and others.
- Taking a number of amazing courses. The one I continue to learn the most from is Desiree Adaway and Ericka Hines Diversity is an Asset course. New course starting in January. http://desireeadaway.com/diversity
- An amazing family trip to Iceland– the Blue Lagoon was truly one of the happiest moments of my life.
- Collaborating with my sons on many business ideas
- Meeting amazing people throughout the year and connecting with people who I hadn’t been in touch with for quite awhile. Making better connections with “golden friends”, and meeting a lot of new friends.
- Creating courses that assisted people in taking big actions in their lives and businesses.
- Going to NYC more times this year than the last 10 years combined.
- Walking on the beach several times a week
- Setting up my office for the day outside as much as possible
- Coaching people who were willing to dance with their fears as they made great changes in their lives and careers.
- Earned money from what I created. That feels pretty cool.
My point in sharing this with you is that we are all at different points in our lives, and we can all come up with excuses for not making things better in our lives.
Work is a really big part of our lives. If you are unhappy, if it sucks if you truly dread going everyday then there are some decisions to make. Stay or go.
I know that when our work lives suck, it affects all the other aspects of our lives as well. I’m going to challenge you to look past that; to reframe how you are looking at it.
If you are going to stay– and there are lots of valid reasons for that– your time is way too valuable spending it being miserable. I urge you to actively work on reframing it so that the job serves you and your reasons for why you are staying.
Last week we spoke about planners…Use a planner at least weekly, and fit in something that totally feeds the unsatisfied needs you are feeling. Actions disrupt habits and thinking patterns that may not serve you anymore. Nothing breaks you out of a negative state like taking an unusual action.
Many people recommend getting out of yourself and helping others first. That works many times, but first I want to make sure that you are not just running away from your own needs by doing that. Take a look at your schedule, and see what you are truly doing for yourself. If there is nothing there, then that’s where to start.
That’s how you start to OWN your voice– and that’s what this month is all about.
I mentioned in the podcast that we would be starting open office hours as a place for women to connect, voice challenges and get some ideas form other women who have been in the same or similar situations.
Please go to the office hours page to sign up and indicate your interested by submitting the contact form. We will be starting this week, and once I receive your form, I will send you the time, day and call in information.
Right now I am thinking Wednesday at 1 – 2 PM EST or Wed at 8-9pm EST. Please let me know your time preference in the contact form.
Until next time- keep leaping
PS: Here’s how I chose to welcome 2017! That’s me in Long Island Sound in CT on January 1.